No, You Don’t Have PTSD…You’re Just a Pussy

I am so sick of the Post Traumatic Stress Disorder diagnosis being thrown around that I’m pretty sure it’s giving me Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

In the past, I’ve had people tell me they got  PTSD for everything from breaking up with their boyfriend to their boss being mean to them. I’ve had to listen to overly sensitive whiners drone on and on about the medications they’re taking and their feelings like I’m actually interested in their ‘suffering.’

For future reference, the only two feelings I’m interested in talking about ever,  are anger and orgasms. For everything else, drink your pain away like the rest of us and shut the fuck up. I am not your psychologist.

Post traumatic stress comes from a TRAUMATIC event. No, your three toothed boyfriend’s dumping you for your cousin isn’t traumatic. It’s the premise for a Jerry Springer show.  Trauma comes from a severe, life altering event that most of the general population hasn’t experienced, like being raped or watching your buddy get his legs blown off in Iraq. It does not come from your boss giving you an angry look and calling you a bitch under his breath.

If something like that is so upsetting to you that you need to be on medication, I would suggest you take the whole bottle at once, cause trust me, life only gets worse.

If you’re still not convinced that you don’t have PTSD, I propose a test. Find yourself any 911 Firefighter who watched half his friends die when the towers went down. Now tell him that you think your boss correcting your spelling error in front of the whole department is just as bad as what he went through.

When you wake up from the coma you were in after he punched you in the face, expect me to be standing at the foot of your hospital bed with a sympathy card that says “I told you so”.

Why am I going off on this tangent today? Because I saw a statistic that just plain pissed me off. As of April 2012, one third of the people on social security disability are on it due to mental illness or injury. One of the most commonly claimed mental injuries? You guessed it. PTSD.

My problem with that is that the SSDI fund is expected to be completely depleted by 2016, thanks in part to frivolous claims for PTSD. I really don’t like the idea that some truly mentally injured veteran is going to have his benefits cut off and wind up living on the street, because a bunch of assholes want to file mental claims due to the ‘trauma’ of being involved in a 5 mile an hour car accident. It just ain’t right.

And it ain’t traumatic. You’re just being a pussy

16 Comments on “No, You Don’t Have PTSD…You’re Just a Pussy”

1. Proactive U. says:

Are you reading my mail?

2. PAZ says:

“…they got PTSD for everything from breaking up with their boyfriend to their boss being mean to them.” <— That's a joke right? Right?

• essaalroc says:

I genuinely wish I was. I’ve worked in insurance for the past 10 years and I have seen that diagnosis tossed around by medical providers who should know better on a regular basis. Every example I put in this post is related to an actual claim for PTSD

• PAZ says:

Wow. I’m curious to know how these reports are written. hmmm. Funny, I just recently wrote a post about PTSD and my personal experience. But I wouldn’t know about insurance companies since I’ve never been insured.

3. babedarla says:

When I got PTSD back in 1983, from being kidnapped and dragged into the jungle and raped, there was no such THING as PTSD…not clinically anyway. I personally wish there had been at the time, it might have helped me heal faster. As it was, I wasn’t eligible for SSDI, so I had to continue working as a patternmaker, amongst all those scissors, even though sharp objects were a trigger for me. Life sucked, but I muddled on, and eventually healed! It took a LOOOOONG time though, and if there had been help, and medication available, I probably wouldn’t be stuck taking Zoloft for the rest of my life…I’m glad help is available now, but the people abusing that help are probably going to fuck it up for those that really need it, *sigh*

Sorry for the ramble, but this struck a chord!

• essaalroc says:

Its ok, I wanted it to. :)

Cases like yours are the exact reason that the US SSDI system needs some serious reform. Back in the 80′s, the admin wouldn’t consider any mental injury claim, due to the fear of a flood of fraudulent or frivolous ones and people like you with genuine conditions got the short end of the stick. I’m very glad to hear that you recovered, but I’m also positive your right about how your healing time would have been reduced if you had been able to receive the support you needed.

4. bossymoksie says:

They’re not pussies, they just want some free money!
    And I thought it was insurance company’s job to deny people money as much as possible?

5. I deal with my anxiety through writing, weight lifting, Bacardi and orgasms – not necessarily in that order! But, it works. I now realize I’m normal.

6. [...] reading the article before you get pissed off about it. A lot of my hate mail comes from this post “No, You Don’t Have PTSD, You’re Just a Pussy”. Yeah, I know. The title is inflammatory. It’s supposed to be. If I didn’t want people to read my [...]

7. redtearsblackwings says:

Wow you’d think that Depression would be the most commonly claimed one rather then PTSD. I share your anger regarding this topic, PTSD is a very serious condition that comes from a very serious event. I often go off my nut at people complaining about PTSD from stupid things like a boyfriend dumping them they certainly shut up quickly when I tell them PTSD comes from your mother beating you from before you can remember until your 16 and being raped by someone who ‘loved’ you and was twice the size of you.

• essaalroc says:

exactly! You will not believe how many people I have sending me idiotic studies from equally idiotic doctors claiming that PTSD can come from minor accidents and stupid family fights. I always respond the same. “If no one thinks it was traumatic, then it wasn’t”. Getting dumped and getting into fender benders are parts of life and they are not traumatic. The money for SSDI needs to be reserved for those with REAL PTSD and not those who were well…just being pussies. :)

8. [...] as follows; “So You Have a Penis?…Then I Don’t Care About Your Opinion on Abortion”, “No, You Don’t Have PTSD… You’re Just a Pussy” and “A Response to Hate Mail”. On all three of these posts, I take an aggressive stance [...]

9. essaalroc says:

Reblogged this on Essa On Everything and commented:

Today’s reblog is the blog that spawned more than 100 pieces of hatemail, sent from people who were pissed off at me for calling them out on scamming disability.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,728 other followers